Tuesday, February 12, 2013

We Grow Accustomed to the Dark

   To be honest, I have tried to steer clear of Poetry. However, I felt that Emily Dickinson's poem We Grow Accustomed to the Dark lured me when we read it in class. The words not only had a punch when spoken, there was also a softness to them.

  That being said, I feel like the subject of the poem was mysterious yet beautiful.

  The absence of light, to me, in the beginning seems to try and invoke fear. As we go along, we are given a glimpse of hope. The moon comes out and there is a possibility for a star to shine within. One looks forward to this sliver of light.

   I think the reason I found this the concept so fascinating is because dark is unknown. People today find thrill and excitement from the dark. From the unknown.


This clip is from a T.V. show on the Syfy channel. Contestants compete in the dark to win a grand prize. This is an example where darkness produces fear.




This link is to a popular restaurant where customers can dine in the dark. They are able to experience food in a whole new light (haha). 
                                           
                                            http://www.darkdining.com/index_main.php



No comments:

Post a Comment