For example, most everyone older than 12, remembers going into a Blockbuster or Hollywood video to grab a movie for a sleepover they were having that night. Now you just go on Netflix or Apple Tv and stream whatever you want to watch. Granted, this isn't a way of life, or knowledge that White taught everyday that's changing, but some changes that could eventually lead to others. I can't even remember the last time I actually hand wrote a letter, addressed it, and mailed it out. Almost everything is becoming digital. Personally, I love to read actual books that are not online or downloaded to your Kindle. I love to fold the pages, bend the binding, and physically turn each pages. Sadly, I think in the next couple of years, I will not be able to do that.
I think this is what White was talking about, but on a much larger scale. I think he feels if he doesn't have a routine, or if things he lived were constantly changing all throughout his life, he was felt to feel as if he was surrounded by darkness. The unknown.


DJ, you bring up a really great point. I never thought about culture being related to the movie/play in that way. I definitely used to go to Blockbuster to rent movies for a sleepover, there really was no other option. Just yesterday, I passed by the Blockbuster on Tunnel Road that has shut down. With technology, as you said, it moves so fast that it is hard to tell what is good/bad anymore (much like White's struggle). Ebook's may be more accessible to people all over the world, but they are constantly "new." You can't buy a used version of an ebook!
ReplyDelete